Skin infection is a broad term used to describe rashes and ailments of skin caused by micro-organisms. These micro-organisms may be parasites, fungi, bacteria or viruses. These micro-organisms are evolving constantly and newer strains are being discovered. Medical science has its hands full in developing treatment in pace with their evolution. Seeing the way new and dangerous forms of skin infections are surfacing, it is prudent to prevent these from infecting you.
Skin infections are easily avoidable by following a good hygiene routine. Following are some basic prevention methods for skin infections.
1. It is important to wash and bathe every day. This removes harmful germs which may have accumulated on the skin. Washing them away will ensure they do not enter the skin and infect it. You should bathe with a natural herbal soap which has antimicrobial properties.
2. Wash your hands with soap every time you have been in contact with another person or been to public places like markets, hospitals, conveniences etc. If washing with soap is not possible then definitely sanitize your hands with an alcohol based sanitizer before touching or scratching any part of your body.
3. Dry yourself properly with a clean and dry towel after bathing and also after washing hands. Change towels frequently as towels are ideal breeding ground for bacteria.
4. Wear clean and dry clothing after washing. It is also important to wear loose fitting clothes made of cotton which allow the skin to breathe.
5. Change your socks and underwear daily and especially after any exercise. Take a bath with a good antimicrobial soap after you have been participating in any form of exercise which caused you to perspire.
6. Wash all clothes, towels and equipment used while exercising.
7. Avoid walking barefoot in public places such as the swimming pool and gymnasiums. Try water shoes or flip-flops.
8. Do not share personal belongings like towels, razors, handkerchiefs.
9. Wash your clothes with a mild detergent which does not irritate the skin. Ensure all remains of the detergent have been washed away.
10. Apply moisturizer and cream on all parts of the body. These should ideally be herbal based so that skin pores are not blocked. Avoid getting dry and cracked skin as this too invites germs to infect the skin. If your skin is cracked, or you have an injury or a wound, keep it clean and dry. Change dressing regularly and avoid touching it with bare hands.
Skin infections are easily treatable by over the counter ointments depending on the micro-organism. In rare cases, skin infection may be due to an anti-biotic resistant strain of bacteria which leads to other ailments like heart and blood diseases. This goes to show that prevention is better than cure. Simple hygienic routine of keeping skin clean will keep it healthy and free from infections. If you are able to incorporate these habits in your life, you will lead a long and healthy life without painful and irritating skin infections.